Michael Feely, DO
Michael Feely, DO, is an anatomic and clinical board-certified pathologist who focuses on gastrointestinal/liver and genitourinary pathology. While he officially joined the faculty at University of Florida Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine in 2016, he was no stranger to this institution, having completed his anatomic and clinical pathology residency, as well as fellowship training in gastrointestinal and liver pathology at UF. Prior to his residency, Dr. Feely received his medical degree from Nova Southeastern College of Osteopathic Medicine in Fort Lauderdale, Florida.
Dr. Feely's primary clinical and research focus centers on gastrointestinal pathology, and he also retains a special interest in genitourinary pathology.
Certification and licensure
- 2015: Anatomic and clinical pathology, American Board of Pathology
- 2015 - present: State of Florida Medical License #OS 13437
Training and education
- 2016: Fellowship | Gastrointestinal and hepatobiliary pathology, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida
2015: Residency | Anatomic and clinical pathology, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Florida
- 2013 - 14: Chief resident
- 2011: Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine, Nova Southeastern University, Fort Lauderdale, Florida
- 2006: Bachelor of Science, Summa Cum Laude | Biology, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, New York
- 2016 - present: International Society of Urologic Pathology
- 2013 - present: Gastrointestinal Pathology Society
- 2011 - present: College of American Pathologists
- 2011 - present: American Society for Clinical Pathology
- 2011 - present: Florida Medical Association
- 2007 - present: American Osteopathic Association
- 2005 - 2011: Sigma Xi Scientific Research Society
Honors and awards
- 2015: Honorable mention, Quality and Patient Safety Week Poster Session, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- 2013: Best resident presentation, University of Florida, Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine Resident Research Day
- 2006: Marie Arnold Chapin Medal in Biology, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, New York
- 2005: Barry M. Goldwater Scholar
- 2005: Sigma Xi Undergraduate Researcher of the Year
- 2004: H. Paul Nelligan Medal in Pure Science, Le Moyne College, Syracuse, New York
- Nasri E, Patel V, Kresak JL, Feely M. Metastatic Malignancies to the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Encountered on Endoscopic Biopsy. 2017. Manuscript in preparation.
- Smith CJ, Wang MX, Feely M, Otto B, Grajo JR. Oncocytoma: A Differential Consideration for an Incidentally Detected FDG-Avid Renal Mass on PET/CT. 2017. Manuscript in preparation.
- Gonzalez RS, Adsay V, Graham RP, Shroff SG, Feely M, Drage MG, Lewin DN, Swanson EA, Yantiss RK, Bagci P, Krasinskas A. Massive Gastric Juvenile-Type Polyposis: A Clinicopathologic Analysis of 22 Cases. In press. Histopathology.
- Gonzalez RS, Salaria SN, Bohannon CD, Feely M, Huber AR, Shi C. PD-1 Inhibitor Gastroenterocolitis: Case Series and Appraisal of “Immunomodulator Gastroenterocolitis”. In press. Histopathology.
- Han S, Gonzalo DH, Feely M, Delitto D, Behrns KE, Beveridge M, Zhang D, Thomas R, Trevino JG, Schmittgen TD, Hughes SJ. The pancreatic tumor microenvironment drives changes in miRNA expression that promote cytokine production and inhibit migration by the tumor associated stroma. Oncotarget. 2016 Jul 20.
- Feely M. Familial polyposis syndromes of colon: Peutz-Jeghers syndrome. Pathology Outlines. Published online: January 2, 2017.
- Feely M. Familial polyposis syndromes of colon: Serrated polyposis. Pathology Outlines. Published online: July 2, 2016.
- Feely M. Familial polyposis syndromes of colon: Juvenile polyposis syndrome. Pathology Outlines. Published online: August 31, 2015.
- Feely M. Familial polyposis syndromes of colon: Cronkhite-Canada syndrome. Pathology Outlines. Published online: August 31, 2015.
- Feely M, Gonzalo DH, Corbera M, Hughes S, Trevino J. IgG4-Related Cholecystitis Presenting as Biliary Malignancy: Report of Three Cases. J Gastrointest Surg. 2014; 18(9):1710-1715.
- Simone CG, Zuluaga-Toro T, Chan E, Feely M, Trevino JG, George TJ Jr. Characteristics and outcomes of adenosquamous carcinoma of the pancreas. Gastrointest Cancer Res. 2013; 6(3):75-9.
- Mitchell B, Pedersen L, Feely M, Rosenbaum J, Mitchell D. 2005. ATP Production in Chlamydomonas reinhardtii Flagella by Glycolytic Enzymes. M. Bio. Cell. 16:4509-4518.
- Patel V, Nasri E, Kresak JL, Feely M. 2017. “Metastatic Malignancies to the Upper Gastrointestinal Tract Encountered on Endoscopic Biopsy: A Clinicopathologic Study”, United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology’s 106th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Chang M, Huang Y, Karamchandani D, Wu X-R, Allende D, Goldblum JR, Xiao S-Y, Zhu H, Feely M, Collinsworth AL, Esnakula A, Xie H, Liu X. 2017. “Interobserver Variability in the Diagnosis of Inflammatory Bowel Disease-Associated Dysplasia by International Telepathology”, United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology’s 106th Annual Meeting, San Antonio, TX.
- Patel V and Feely M. 2016. "STAT-3 Mutated Autoimmune Enteropathy Mimicking Celiac Disease: A Case Report”, College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting, Las Vegas, NV.
- Feely M, Gonzalo DH. 2015. "Immunohistochemistry for IgE Can Distinguish IgG4-Related Disease of the Pancreatobiliary Tract from Chronic Pancreatitis", United States & Canadian Academy of Pathology’s 104th Annual Meeting, Boston, MA.
- Blandford A, Feely M, Ishmael A, Hanford Y, Keating S, Mahla M, Titsworth W. 2015. "Initiative to Improve Housestaff Reporting of Patient Safety Events". Quality and Patient Safety Week Poster Session, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL
- Feely M, Allan R, Reith J. 2014. "Epithelioid Inflammatory Myofibroblastic Sarcoma Mimicking a Benign Inflammatory Process". College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Feely M. and Gonzalo DH. 2014. "Kaposi Sarcoma of the Stomach Mimicking a Gastrointestinal Stromal Tumor: A Case Report". College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting, Chicago, IL.
- Feely M, Vila Duckworth L, Salazar E, Lu X, Liu C. 2013. "Quantitative Analysis of Infiltrating T and B Lymphocytes in Hepatocellular Carcinoma to Non-tumor Liver". College of American Pathologists Annual Meeting. Orlando, FL.
- Feely M. and Mitchell B. 2005. "Location and Characterization of Enolase in Chlamydomonas Flagella. Sigma Xi Annual Meeting and Student Research Conference". Seattle, WA.
- Feely M. and Smith D. 2003. "Morphological Variation in Odonata from the Bahamian Archipelago. 10th Symposium on the Natural History of the Bahamas". San Salvador, Bahamas.