David Hernandez Gonzalo, MD
David Hernandez Gonzalo, MD, specializes in the interpretation of biopsy and resection specimens in gastrointestinal, hepatic, pancreatobiliary and breast pathology. He joined the University of Florida Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine in July 2013 after completing a fellowship in gastrointestinal, hepatic and pancreatobiliary pathology at the Cleveland Clinic.
Before joining our team, Dr. Gonzalo completed two anatomic pathology residencies. His first residency took place at Hospital Universitario Virgen del Rocio (Sevilla,Spain), one of the best pathology programs in the country. During this residency, Dr. Gonzalo spent five months training at outside institutions, including Cleveland Clinic (for a soft tissue pathology rotation) and Akron Summa Health System (for a surgical pathology rotation). He completed his second residency in Cleveland Clinic, Ohio.
- 2012 - 13: Fellowship in gastrointestinal, hepatic and pancreaticobiliary pathology, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2009 - 12: Residency, anatomic pathology, Howard University Hospital, Cleveland Clinic Foundation, Cleveland, Ohio
- 2004 - 08: Residency, anatomic pathology, Hospital Universtario Virgen del Rocio, Sevilla, España
- 2001: Internship, Howard University Medical Hospital, telehealth course, Washington DC
- 2001: Internship, Howard University Medical Hospital, infectious disease rotation, Washington DC
- 2000 - 01: Internship, Rheinische Friedrich-Wilhelms-Universität
Honors and Awards
- 2013: “Gene Expression Profiling of Serrated Colorectal Polyps: Identification of Genes That Differentiate Hyperplastic Polyps (HPs) from Sessile Serrated Polyps (SSPs)”, runner-up platform presentation award given by the Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society, Baltimore, Maryland
- 2012: “Hirschsprung's Disease and Calretinin in Inadequate Biopsies” runner-up platform presentation award given by the Rodger C. Haggitt Gastrointestinal Pathology Society. Vancouver, Canada
- 2001: Certificate of Completion of an eight-week telehealth course of an original Asthma Home Telehealth project, Washington DC
- 1996 - 97: Academic Honors Scholarship, full tuition paid for the first year of medical school, Tenerife, España
- Anatomic pathology
Gonzalo DH, Lai KK, Shadrach B, Goldblum JR, Bennett AE, Downs-Kelly E, Liu X, Henricks W, Patil DT, Carver P, Na J, Gopalan B, Rybicki L, Pai RK. “Gene expression profiling of serrated polyps identifies Annexin A10 as a marker of a sessile serrated adenoma/polyp”. Accepted for publication. Journal of Pathology.
Gonzalo DH, Plesec T. “Hirschsprung's disease and use of calretinin in inadequate rectal suction biopsies”. Status: accepted for publication. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory medicine.
Allende D, Gonzalo DH, Bennett A. “Eosinophilic pancreatitis clinically presenting as a mucinous cystic neoplasm of the pancreas”. Accepted for publication.Archives of Pathology and Laboratory medicine. Sep 2012.
Hernandez Gonzalo,D; Tan, Carmela; Staugaitis, Susan; Rice, T “Gastroatrial fistula with food embolus syndrome”. Archives of Pathology and Laboratory medicine. Sep 2010.
Renedo RJ, Ortiz Menéndez A, Giráldez Sánchez M, Ribera Zabalbeascoa J, Gonzalo DH. “Acute knee pain in pregnancy. Case report of regional transient osteoporosis”. Reumatol Clin. 2010 Mar-Apr;6(2):99-101.
Martin MV, Hernández-Gonzalo D, Fontillon-Alberdi M, Fernández-Alonso J. “Future perspectives for clinical autopsy in patients from critic and urgent care units”. Med Intensiva. 2009 Apr;33(3):150.
P.Infante, Gonzalo DH, Hernandez J, Borrero J. “Oral inverted ductal papilloma associated with condyloma accuminate and HPV in an HIV patient”. International Journal of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery. 2008 Dec; 37(12):1159-61.
Gonzalo DH, Salinas MMV, Borderas NF. “Benign clear cell tumor of the lung. A case report and diagnostic features”. Cirugia Espanola. 2008 Jun; 83(6):330-1.
Bernabeu-WJ, Gonzalo DH, Luque R, Borrero JJ, Conejo-Mir J. “Cutaneous nodules as diagnostic key of an extraoral plasmablastic lymphoma in a human immunodeficiency virus-infected patient”. Journal of the European Academy of Dermatology and Venereology.2008 Jan; 77(2):127-9.
Gonzalo DH, Salinas MMV, Carranza CA, Gavilan CF. “Chondroid lipoma: a rare lesion posing diagnostic difficulties”Cirugia Espanola .2007 Nov;82(5):315-6.
Salinas MMV, Gonzalo DH, Munoz RI, Gavilan CF. “Massive localized lymphedema mimicking a soft tissue neoplasm associated with previous surgery and morbid obesity”. Cirugia Espanola .2007 Jul; 82(1):52.
Gonzalo DH, Rodriguez G, Marcilla D. “Diagnostic difficulties of the hemophagocytic lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) associated with the Epstein Barr virus”. Journal of Pediatric Hematology/Oncology .2007 Mar; 29(3):206-207.
Salinas Martín MV, Muñoz Repeto I, Hernández Gonzalo D, Cañadas de León M. “Quality of the report requesting an anatomopathological study and reason for consultation in out-patient minor surgery in primary care”. Aten Primaria. 2007 Feb;39(2):105-6.