Nadim M. Islam, DDS, BDS
Nadim M. Islam, DDS, BDS, completed his oral pathology training at the University of Florida College of Dentistry Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology in 2007. There he held a dual appointment as a research fellow in oral & maxillofacial pathology and craniofacial pain & temporomandibular dysfunction management prior to accepting his position at Indiana University School of Dentistry.
Dr. islam received his degree in dentistry from the Dr. R. Ahmed Dental College and Hospital at the University of Calcutta, Calcutta, India in 1989. After receiving his dental degree, he practiced general dentistry in several locations throughout India and then worked for our years as a general dentist with the Ministry of Health, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia. He started at IUSD in 2007 and worked as an assistant professor and director for the Oral Pathology Biopsy Service & Laboratory until 2012. He received his United States DDS degree from the Indiana University School of Dentistry in 2010.
Dr. Islam is a member of the American Dental Education Association & American Dental Association; a fellow, by examination, of the American Academy of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology; and a diplomate of the American Board of Oral & Maxillofacial Pathology. He is actively involved in a large clinical oral pathology practice and biopsy service. He is presently the chair for the oral pathology section of the ADEA and a consultant of oral and maxillofacial pathology for CODA. He also frequently gives lectures to his peers from associated specialties in the field of dentistry.
Additionally, Dr. Islam has authored or co-authored more than 20 papers and several book chapters on myriad topics, addressing both clinical and microscopic aspects of oral and maxillofacial pathology. His scholarly interests include tobacco-associated oral precancerous lesions and various mucocutaneous conditions of autoimmune origin. Dr. Islam has a special interest in chronic ulcerative stomatitis, and he has made a major contribution to the literature on this condition. He has also published extensively on various topics of dermatopathology, oral pathology and oral medicine in peer-reviewed medical/dental journals. Dr. Islam is especially interested in diagnostic surgical and clinical oral pathology, as well as dental education.
- Bhattacharyya I, Islam NM, Yoon TYH, Green JG , Ohja J, Liu JJ, Cohen DM. Lip hypertrophy secondary to cyclosporine treatment: a rare adverse effect and treatment considerations. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2006;102:469-74.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Proper S, Glanz S, Vega J, Hassanein AM. Melanocytic Matricoma: A distinctive clinicopathological entity. Dermatol Surg 2007;33:857-63.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J, Bober K, Green J, Cohen D. Hemifacial hypertrophy – Comparison between true and partial hemifacial hypertrophy. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:501-9.
- Islam NM, Solanki VS, Ojha J, Stewart CM, Cohen DM, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Chronic ulcerative stomatitis: A Diagnostic Challenge – Review of Literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:194-203.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Ojha J, Cohen DM. Rhino-cerebral zygomycosis – an increasingly frequent challenge: update and surprising outcomes in two cases. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007;104:28-34.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam NM, Akers J, Akers JO, Cohen DM. Intraoral cellular blue nevus, Review of literature and Case Report. Cutis.2007;80:189-92.
- Yoon TYH, Bhattacharyya I, Katz J, Towle HJ, Islam MN.Squamous cell carcinoma of the gingiva: a clinicopathologic report. Quintissence International. 2007;38:97-102.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam NM, Manhart S, Cohen DM. Intraosseous pleomorphic adenoma of the mandible: report of a case and review of literature. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod 2007;104:21-6.
- Ojha J, Cohen DM, Islam NM, Stewart CM, Cha S, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Gingival involvement in Crohn’s disease. J Am Dent Assoc. 2007;138:1574-81.
- Islam NM, Kanter KG, Cohen DM, Stewart C, Katz J, Bhattacharyya I. Florid cemento-osseous dysplasia mimicking multiple periapical pathology – an endodontic dilemma . General Dentistry. 2008;56:559-62
- Stewart CM, Bhattacharyya I, Kathleen B, Cohen DM, Orlando C, Drew P, Islam MN, Ojha J, Reeves W Labial Salivary Gland Biopsies in Sjögren’s Syndrome: Still the Gold Standard?. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;106:392-402.
- Ojha J, Bhattacharyya I, Islam NM, Cohen DM, Stewart CM, Katz J. Xerostomia and Lichenoid Reaction in a Hepatitis C Patient Treated With Interferon-Alpha – Case Report. Quintissence In. 2008;39;343-48.
- Ojha J, Islam NM, Cohen DM, Marshal D, Reavis MR, Bhattacharyya I. Postransplant lymphoproliferative disorders of oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:589-96.
- Laga AC, Tajirian AL, Islam NM, Bhattacharya I, Cohen DM, Plamondon CJ, Bostom LR. Myopericytoma: Report of two cases associated with trauma. J Cutan Pathol 2008;35:866-70.
- Ojha J, Islam NM, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Colloid Milium of the oral cavity. Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2008;105:34-8.
- Shumway BS, Islam NM, Kapoor R, Huang AK, Arnold FW. Clinico-Pathologic Conference: Case 3. Head Neck Pathol. 2009 ;3:286-9. Epub 2009 Oct 31.
- Islam NM, Cohen DM, Waite M, Bhattacharyya I.Three cases of subpontic osseous hyperplasia of the mandible. A report. Quintissence In. 2010; 41:299-302
- Islam NM, Kornberg L, Veenker E,Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I.Anatomic site based ploidy analysis of oral premalignant lesions. Head Neck Pathol. 2010;4:10-4. Epub 2009 Nov 24.
- Islam NM, Cohen DM, Bhattacharyya I. Folliculosebaceous cystic hamartoma of the upper lip and labial mucosa. Quintissence In. 2011;42:e75-7.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Common oral manifestations of systemic disease. Otolaryngol Clin North Am. 2011; 44:161-82, vi.
- Islam NM, Bhattacharyya I, Cohen DM. Salivary gland pathology in HIV patients, Diagnostic Histopathology 2012, http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.mpdhp.2012.08.001