Dara N. Wakefield, MD
- 2014 | Fellowship: Gynecologic/Renal pathology, University of Florida Health Shands Hospital, PGY-6
- 2013 | Fellowship: Hematopathology, University of Alabama at Birmingham Hospitals PGY-5
- 2011 | Residency: UF Department of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine UF Health Shands Hospital, PGY-3 and 4
- 2009 | Residency: UF Department of Pathology, immunology and Laboratory Medicine, UAB Hospitals PGY-1 and -2
- 2007 | M.D.: UAB School of Medicine
2003| B.S.: Pre-Med Biomedical Sciences, Summa Cum Laude, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
2012: Anatomical/Clinical pathology
Abstracts and Publications
- New rash, old foe. Gupta R, Pivovarov I, Wakefield D, Gupta S - Am J Med - 01-MAR-2008; 121(3): 193-5
- p16 Expression in trichilemmomas: indirect and additional evidence of HPV infection? Nicholaus J Hilliard, M.D.; Dara N Wakefield, M.D.; Dieter Krahl, M.D.; Klaus Sellheyer, M.D. JAAD.
- Cytological atypia does not equal malignancy: an old but unappreciated truth. Wakefield DN, Krahl D, Wainer BH, Sellheyer K. J Cutan Pathol. 2009 Sep;36(9):1014-21. doi: 10.1111/j.1600-0560.2009.01238.x.
- p16 Expression in Trichilemmomas. Abstract: ASDP Conf Oct 2008. Dara N. Wakefield¹ MD, Nicholaus J. Hilliard¹ MD, Dieter Krahl³ MD and Klaus Sellheyer¹ ², MD.
- p16 Expression differentiates between desmoplastic Spitz nevus and desmoplastic melanoma. Dara N. Wakefield¹ MD, Nicholaus J. Hilliard¹ MD, Dieter Krahl³ MD and Klaus Sellheyer¹ ², MD. ASDP Conf Oct 2008 - abstract
- p16 expression in conventional and desmoplastic trichilemmomas. Hilliard NJ, Wakefield DN, Krahl D, Sellheyer K. Am J Dermatopathol. 2009 Jun;31(4):342-9. doi: 10.1097/DAD.0b013e3181889439.
- An opportunity to bridge the laboratory – patient gap: Pathology 777. Abstract: ASIP 2009 conference. Dara N Wakefield1 M.D., Lauren B VanDuyn2 MDPhD, C. Bruce Alexander3 MD.
- A new opportunity to bridge the gap between the laboratory and patient care: Pathology 777. Abstract: Post Doc research day UAB Feb 2008. Dara N Wakefield M.D.1, Lauren B Van Duyn1,2, Xiaojun Wu, MDPhD1, C. Bruce Alexander M.D.1
- Cryoglobulinemia a multidisciplinary approach to diagnosis and treatment: Abstract: ACLPS 2009. M. Marques, E.Gorman, DN Wakefield.
- The Central Nervous System Solitary Fibrous Tumor: A Review of Clinical, Imaging and Pathologic Findings among All Reported Cases from 1996 to 2010. Fargen, Wakefield, Yachnis. Clin Neurol Neurosurg. 2011 Nov;113(9):703-10. Epub 2011 Aug 26. PMID:21872387
- Helicobacter pylori detection by polymerase chain reaction in pediatric gastritis. Baskovich B, Sun L, Patel R, Wakefield D, Yuan Y, Liu C. J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2012 May;54(5):698. doi: 10.1097/MPG.0b013e318248e3b0
- H. pylori PCR in pediatric gastritis. Abstract: ASCP 2011. Brett Baskovich, Liping Sun, Roshan Patel, Dara Wakefield, Yuan Yuan, Chen Liu
- Quantitation of HER2 Expression in Primary Gastro-esophageal Adenocarcinomas Using Conventional Light Microscopy and Quantitative Image Analysis. Jennifer Jeung, Roshan Patel, Lizette Vila, Dara Wakefield, Chen Liu. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2012 Jun;136(6):610-7. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2011-0371-OA.
- High Yield Neuropathology. Elsevier 2014. AT Yachnis and M Rivera-Zengotita. Chapters contributed: Developmental disorders (Malformations and Acquired Developmental Defects), Neuronal and Glial Disorders, Embryonal Neuroepithelial Tumors, Sellar and Supresellar Tumors, and Metastatic Brain Tumors.
- Basophilic Stippling: Presentation, Work-up, and Diagnosis: Abstract: Doc research day UAB 2012. Jason Brazelton MD, Dara Wakefield MD, Vishnu Reddy MD.
- A rash of Bacteria Positive cytospins: QA / QC approach and resolution. Abstract: Doc research day UAB 2012. Jason Brazelton MD, Dara Wakefield MD, Vishnu Reddy MD,
- 29 YO with bone metastasis: Too old for Neuroblastoma? Abstract: Doc research day UAB 2012. Dara Wakefield MD, Jason Brazelton MD, Vishnu Reddy MD, Michael Alberti MDPhD, Sam Borak MD
- Initial Presentation of HIV/AIDs: Rectal Mass. Abstract: Doc research day UAB 2013. Matthew Cain MD), Dara Wakefield MD, Vishnu Reddy MD.
- Natural History of Primary Myelofibrosis: Progression of disease in a four- case follow-up. Abstract: Doc research day UAB 2013. Dara Wakefield MD, Jason Brazelton MD, Vishnu Reddy MD, Sam Borak MD
- Charcot-Leyden Crystals in the Bone marrow of a patient with AML. Abstract CAP 2013. Zhou, Wakefield, Reddy.
- New diagnosis of Gaucher’s Disease and monoclonal gammopathy in a 61 year old man. Abstract CAP 2013. Zhou, Wakefield, Bakula, Peker.
Novel G377S (c.1246G>T) mutation associated with Gaucher disease type 1. Zhou, Y., Kraemer, R. R., Peker, D. Wakefield, D. N. and de Idiaquez Bakula, D. A. (2013). Am. J. Hematol., 88: 922–923.
- 2010: The Department of Pathology Clinical Research Committee Grant: Improved diagnostic sensitivity and specificity of malignant adrenal cortical tumors with novel immunohistochemical markers
- 1st place: UF Orthopedics Seminar in Musculoskeletal Pathology 2010, exit exam competition
- 2009: The Department of Pathology Clinical Research Committee Grant: Investigating the stability of microsatellite instable rectal carcinomas pre and post radiation/chemotherapy
- 2008: Department of Pathology Adams Resident Research Grant: Ki67 staining in dysplastic melanocytic nevi
2008: Department of Pathology Adams Resident Research Grant: p16 staining in trichilemmomas
- Laboratory Medicine Seminar: Luminex xMAP Respiratory Virus Panel (RVP) Neat or necessity? Feb. 19th 2008
Anatomic Pathology Seminar Series UAB:
- Spindle Cell Lipomas: diagnosis and differentiation. 2008
- Appendiceal Carcinoid: a misnomer or misdiagnosis. 2009
- HIV related lymph node changes: 2012
- UF Dept of Pathology Resident Research Day: Adrenal pathology - one institution's 15 years of experience
- The genetic approach to colon cancer: today and future directions. Molecular and Cellular pathology lecture series- June 2009
- Birmingham VAMC Continuing medical education: Liquid-based multiplex PCR and what can it offer you. March 18th & 19th 2008
- Birmingham VAMC Continuing medical education: Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn. October 22nd2008
- Journal Club: Acute Antibody-Mediated Rejection of Renal Transplant: Pathogenic and Diagnostic Considerations
- Journal Club: CD33 Detection by Immunohistochemistry in Paraffin-Embedded Tissues
- Journal Club: Physical basis of colors seen in Congo red-stained amyloid in polarized light
- Hematology/oncology tumor board: Case presentations Multiple Myeloma, AML M7, recurrent TTP & Rituximab
- End of rotation talk, Blood Bank: Hemolytic Disease of the Newborn
- Chemistry Jeopardy: 2009
- UAB Continuing Medical Education, Blood Bank: TTP and ADAMTS-13
- TRALI - what's new: blood bank, continuing education Jan 10, 2010
- Laboratory work-up of a prolonged PTT: Department of Pathology CP conference
- Diagnostic conundrums of zero-time organ biopsies: Department of pathology unknowns conference 2010
- Pauci-immune glomerulonephritis, can we do more: Department of Pathology Gross-Micro conference
- Recurrent, recurrent, recurrent thrombotic microangiopathy - differential diagnosis and transplant management options: Nephrology transplant conference, April 20th, 2010
- Journal club: “Fresh blood,” saves lives or save your effort? 2010
- Platelet EM, updates on MYH-9 disorders. Department of pathology, quality assurance conference
- Thrombocytopenia, an autopsy mystery theatre: Department of Pathology Gross-Micro conference
- Bacterial ABC’s Jeopardy: 2011
- Bleeding who, what, why. Department of pathology unknowns conference 2011
- Congenital Thrombocytopenia: Diagnosis and work-up: UAB fellowship candidate lecture