William Ernest Winter, MD
UF Health Pathology Laboratories' Endocrinology Unit Director, William Ernest Winter,MD, is board-certified in pediatrics, pediatric endocrinology and chemical pathology. Following his residency in pediatrics at the University of Kentucky, he was an NIH-funded pediatric endocrine fellow at the University of Florida. Moving into pathology to continue his research in unusual forms of diabetes in 1984, Dr. Winter worked under an NIH Clinical Investigator Award from 1985 to 1990. Since late 1999, he has been NIH-funded through his involvement in DPT-1 and now TrialNet. Dr. Winter then ran a clinic for children with dyslipidemia, obesity or type-2 diabetes until 2009.
Education & Training
- Fellow (1982 - 84): Research, Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Departments of Pathology, Immunology and Laboratory Medicine and Pediatrics, University of Florida, Gainesville, Florida
- Fellow (1981-82): Clinical, Pediatric Endocrinology and Diabetes, Department of Pediatrics, University of Florida, College of Medicine, Gainesville, Fla.
- Chief Resident (1980 - 81): Pediatrics, University of Kentucky, Albert B. Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, Ky.
- Internship and Residency (1977 - 80): Pediatrics, University of Kentucky, Albert B. Chandler Medical Center, Lexington, Ky.
- MD (1977): Cum laude; Alpha Omega Alpha; Loyola University of Chicago, Stritch School of Medicine, Maywood, Ill.
- BS (1974): Chemistry, certified by the American Chemical Society, summa cum laude; member, Alpha Sigma Nu, Santa Clara University, Santa Clara, Calif.