Important: Indicate the patient's gender when ordering this test.
Type: Serum or plasma
Container/Tube: Red-top tube, gel-barrier tube, lavender-top tube (EDTA) or a green-top tube (heparin)
- Separate serum or plasma from cells within one hour of collection.
Sample Volume: 1 mL
Minimum Volume: 0.5 mL (Repeat testing is not possible with this specimen volume.)
Storage: Refrigerate specimens immediately after collection.
Stability (collection to time of analysis/testing):
- Ambient: 14 days
- Refrigerated: 14 days
- Frozen: 14 days
- Freeze/Thaw Cycles: Stable (x 3)
UFHPL Test #: 68075
UFHPL Epic order code: LAB150
- Pearson TA, Mensah GA, Alexander RW, et al. Markers of inflammation and cardiovascular disease: Application to clinical and public health practice: A statement for healthcare professionals from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the American Heart Association. Circulation. 2003; 107(3):499-511. PubMed 12551878
- Ridker PM, Cushman M, Stampfer MJ, et al. Plasma concentration of C-reactive protein and risk of developing peripheral vascular disease. Circulation. 1998; 97(5):425-428. PubMed 9490235
- Ridker PM, Cushman M, Stampfer MJ, et al. Inflammation, aspirin, and the risk of cardiovascular disease in apparently healthy men. N Engl J Med. 1997; 336(14):973-979. PubMed 9077376
- Ridker PM, Buring JE, Shih J, et al. Prospective study of C-reactive protein and the risk of future cardiovascular events among apparently healthy women. Circulation. 1998; 98(8):731-733. PubMed 9727541
- Ridker PM, Glynn RJ, Hennekens CH. C-Reactive protein adds to the predictive value of total and HDL cholesterol in determining risk of first myocardial infarction. Circulation. 1998; 97(20):2007-2011. PubMed 9610529
- Ridker PM, Rifai N, Peffer MA, et al, for the Cholesterol and Recurrent Events (CARE) Investigators. Inflammation, pravastatin, and the risk of coronary events after myocardial infarction in patients with average cholesterol levels. Circulation. 1998; 98(9):839-844. PubMed 9738637
- Tracy RP, Lemaitre RN, Psaty BM, et al. Relationship of C-reactive protein to risk of cardiovascular disease in the elderly: Results from the Cardiovascular Health Study and the Rural Health Promotion Project. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol. 1997; 17(6):1121-1127. PubMed 9194763
- Macy EM, Hayes TE, Tracy RP. Variability in the measurement of C-reactive protein in healthy subjects: Implications for reference interval and epidemiological applications. Clin Chem. 1997; 43(1):52-58. PubMed 8990222