Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) RNA, Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR), Quantitative
5 - 8 business days
- Acceptable specimens include whole blood, serum or plasma. Blood should be collected in sterile lavender-top tubes, using EDTA as the anticoagulant, or in serum-separation tubes.
- Samples must be collected aseptically to minimize hemolysis and bacterial contamination.
- Whole blood must be centrifuged within 6 hours of collection for 20 minutes at 800 - 1600xg. Plasma or serum may be transported frozen at -80 °C.
- Transportation of whole blood or plasma must comply with country, federal, state and local regulations for the transport of etiologic agents.
- The minimum required sample volume is 650 μL of plasma or serum
- Clotted or frozen specimens
- Volume less than 650 μL
- Whole blood more than one day old that has not been spun
Serum or plasma specimens may be stored at 4 °C for up to 72 hours or at -80 °C for up to 6 weeks. It is recommended that specimens be stored in 800 - 900 μL aliquots in microtubes (such as Sarstedt tubes).
Reference Interval: HCV RNA not detected
The quantitative range of this assay is 15 – 1 x108 IU/mL
Low limit of detection (LoD) = Limit of Quantitation (LoQ) = 15 IU/mL