- 88305 (if cell block performed)
Additional CPT codes may apply if special studies are required.
Collect a specimen and place it in a sterile container if it can be delivered immediately to the lab. If immediate delivery is not available, then it is recommended to place 30 mL of the specimen in ThinPrep® or SurePath® medium or place the specimen in a sterile container with 3 units of heparin and refrigerate it.
We do not recommend storing joint fluids in alcohol.
Storage/Transport Temperature: Submit specimens according to Biological Substance, Category B, shipping guidelines.
Unacceptable Conditions: Frozen, sterile container > 2 hours old without heparin
Stability (collection to initiation of testing):
- Sterile Container: 2 hours
- ThinPrep®: 3 weeks
- SurePath®: 4 weeks
- Refrigerated: Add 3 units of heparin (48 hours)
- Peritoneal fluid (paracentesis)
- Body cavity washings
- Pleural fluid (thoracentesis)
- Pericardial fluid (pericardiocentesis)
- Synovial fluid
- Cyst fluid
1 - 2 days
Monday - Friday