FISH Study: Neoplastic Interphase EGR1 with D5S23, DS721 (Deletion 5q)
UFHPL Test #: 30155
- Bone Marrow Aspirate: Obtain 1 - 2 cc of in a green-top sodium heparin tube and immediately rotate it thoroughly to ensure adequate mixing with the anticoagulant.
- Bone Marrow Core Biopsy: Deposit samples in a sterile container containing tissue culture medium with antibiotics (RPMI) that have been brought to room temperature before collection.*
- Peripheral Blood Specimens: Peripheral blood specimens may be submitted in those clinical conditions (i.e. circulating blasts) and/or circumstances (where warranted).
- Unacceptable Conditions:
- Frozen specimens
- Specimens for FISH study only greater than one week old
- Specimens for concurrent FISH and cytogenetic studies greater than 48 hours old*
- Formalin, alcohol or paraffin-preserved specimens
- Stability (collection to initiation of testing):
- Ambient: 24 - 48 hours*
- Frozen: Unacceptable
* Cell viability of specimens requiring cell culture may be compromised in specimens more than 48 hours old upon receipt. Refrigeration at 2° - 8° C may assist when a delay is not preventable. Do not freeze or place specimens directly on ice.
This test is used to detect del(5q) in a broad variety of myeloid neoplasms and is specifically useful for MDS/AML.
Interphase nuclei fluorescence in-situ hybridization (FISH) copy number analyses; a concurrent or previous conventional cytogenetic workup is required/recommended (where possible).
5 - 12 days
By report; interpretive
Monday - Saturday