Hepatitis C Virus (HCV) Antibody
UFHPL Epic order code: LAB868
Following the development of sensitive and specific testing for hepatitis B, 90% of post-transfusion hepatitis is now hepatitis C. A gene product (c100) of hepatitis C virus (HCV) was isolated and an assay for anti-HCV developed. The assay detects antibody to a presumptive togavirus or flavivirus which may be an etiologic agent of non-A, non-B hepatitis (which may not be a unitary disease entity).
For blood donors, hepatitis C serology correlates with surrogate tests for non-A, non-B hepatitis (ALT and anti-HBc). Since hepatitis C serology identifies a broader group of infected individuals than surrogate testing, it reduces risk of HCV during transfusion. Studies in hemophiliacs indicate that antibody to HCV is a reliable marker of HCV.
- Allain JP, Dailey SH, Laurain Y, et al. Evidence for persistent hepatitis C virus (HCV) infection in hemophiliacs. J Clin Invest. 1991 Nov; 88(5):1672-1679. PubMed 1939652
- Alter MJ, Hadler SC, Judson FN, et al. Risk factors for acute non-A, non-B hepatitis in the United States and association with hepatitis C virus infection. JAMA. 1990 Nov 7; 264(17):2231-2235. PubMed 2170702
- Choo QL, Kuo G, Weiner AJ, et al. Isolation of a cDNA clone derived from a blood-borne non-A, non-B viral hepatitis genome. Science. 1989 Apr 21; 244(4902):359-362. PubMed 2523562
- Clemens JM, Taskar S, Chau K, et al. IgM antibody response in acute hepatitis C viral infection. Blood. 1992 Jan 1; 79(1):169-172. PubMed 1309424
- Dodd LG, McBride JH, Gitnick GL, Howanitz PJ, Rodgerson DO. Prevalence of non-A, non-B hepatitis/hepatitis C virus antibody in human immunoglobulins. Am J Clin Pathol. 1992 Jan; 97(1):108-113. PubMed 1728850
- Gambino R. NANB hepatitis−A new antibody test for the hepatitis C virus. Lab Report for Physicians. 1988; 10:89-93.
- Kuo G, Choo QL, Alter HJ, et al. An assay for circulating antibodies to a major etiologic virus of human non-A, non-B hepatitis. Science. 1989 Apr 21; 244(4902):362-364. PubMed 2496467
- Richards C, Holland P, Kuramoto K, Douville C, Randell R. Prevalence of antibody to hepatitis C virus in a blood donor population. Transfusion. 1991 Feb; 31(2):109-113.PubMed 1847559
Type: Serum or plasma
- If a tube other than a gel-barrier tube is used, transfer the separated serum or plasma to a plastic transport tube.
Sample Volume: 1 mL
Storage: Refrigerate specimens immediately after collection.
- Ambient: 14 days
- Refrigerated: 14 days
- Frozen: 14 days
- Non-EDTA plasma specimen
- PST gel-barrier tube
Enzyme immunoassay (EIA)
5 - 8 business days
Monday - Friday