- Amniotic Fluid: Aseptically collect approximately 1 cc of per week of gestational age in two sterile 15 mL conical centrifuge tubes and sequentially label the tubes. The initial 1 - 2 cc should not be included for chromosome studies (but may be utilized for AFP testing).
- Chorionic Villi: Collect 10 - 30 mg of villi utilizing aspiration medium that contains sodium heparin.* After assessing the appropriate amount and quality of villi, transfer it to a sterile centrifuge tube with transportation medium.
- Fetal Tissue Samples: As aseptically as possible, obtain approximately 2 mm x 2 mm x 2 mm in size (recommended tissues for abortus materials include recognizable fetal components, such as skin, lung and cartilage and extra-embryonic tissues, such as chorionic villi). Transfer each sample to a separate sterile 15 mL conical centrifuge tube containing tissue culture medium that has been brought to room temperature prior to collection.*
Do not place the sample in hot or cold medium. To enhance the possibility of a successful cytogenetic study, we recommend that at least two tissue types be sent in separate containers.
Do not freeze or fix samples in any manner contrary to the maintenance of cell viability. Maintain sample sterility; keep all specimens at room temperature; and deliver samples to the laboratory within 24 - 48 hours. Ship specimens at room temperature for overnight delivery.
- Frozen specimens
- Specimens greater than 48 hours old*
- Ambient: 24 - 48 hours*
* Cell viability of specimens requiring cell culture may be compromised in specimens older than 48 hours upon receipt. Refrigeration at 2° - 8° C may assist when a delay is not preventable. Do not freeze or place specimens directly on ice.
This test is used for esoteric send-out testing, which may require a given quantity of cells or living tissue cultures e.g., specific enzyme test for metabolic disorders, etc.).
Cell culture for cell-line buildup only; for reference lab send-out
14 - 28 days (subject to a broad range of variables)
Reference lab report
Monday - Saturday