Thyroid Cascade Profile
UFHPL Epic order code: LAB2107422
- Davey R. Thyroxine, thyrotropin, and age in a euthyroid hospital patient population. Clin Chem. 1997 Nov; 43(11):2143-2148. PubMed 9365400
- Davey RX, Clarke MI, Webster AR. Thyroid function testing based on assay of thyroid stimulating hormone: Assessing an algorithm's reliability. Med J Aust. 1996 Mar 18; 164(6):329-332. PubMed 8606655
- Feldkamp CS, Carey JL. An algorithmic approach to thyroid function testing in a managed care setting. 3-year experience. Am J Clin Pathol. 1996 Jan; 105(1):11-16. PubMed 8561076
- Klee GG, Hay ID. Role of thyrotropin measurements in the diagnosis and management of thyroid disease. Clin Lab Med. 1993 Sep; 13(3):673-682. PubMed 8222581
- Ladenson PW, Singer PA, Ain KB, et al. American Thyroid Association guidelines for detection of thyroid dysfunction. Arch Intern Med. 2000 Jun 12; 160(11):1573-1575.PubMed 10847249
Important: Special reflexing. If TSH is < 0.450, it will reflex to thyroxine (T4), free, direct and depending on the thyroxine (T4), free, direct result, may reflex to a triiodothyronine (T3), free, both at an additional charge. If the TSH is > 4.500, it will reflex to thyroxine (T4), free, direct and depending on the thyroxine (T4), free, direct result, may reflex to a thyroid peroxidase (TPO) antibody, both at an additional charge.
Sample Volume: 2 mL
Minimum Volume: 1 mL (Repeat testing is not possible with this specimen volume.)
- If a red-top tube is used, transfer the separated serum to a plastic transport tube.
Storage: Refrigerate specimens immediately after collection.
Stability (collection to time of analysis/testing):
- Ambient: 14 days
- Refrigerated: 14 days
- Frozen: 14 days
- Freeze/Thaw Cycles: Stable (x 3)
- Plasma specimen
Electrochemiluminescence immunoassay (ECLIA)
Monday - Friday