Urine Culture, Routine
UFHPL Epic order code: LAB239
A single culture is about 80 percent accurate for females; two containing the same organism with a count of 105 or more represent a 95 percent chance of true bacteriuria; three such specimens mean virtual certainty of true bacteriuria.
- Stamm WE, Hooton TM, Johnson JR, et al. Urinary tract infections: From pathogenesis to treatment. J Infect Dis. 1989 Mar; 159(3):400-406 (review). PubMed 2644378
- Andriole VT. Urinary tract infections in the 90s: Pathogenesis and management. Infection. 1992; 20(Suppl 4):S251-S256. PubMed 1294512
- Nicolle LE. Urinary tract infection in the elderly: How to treat and when? Infection. 1992; 20(Suppl 4):S261-S265. PubMed 1294514
- Cavagnolo R. Evaluation of incubation times for urine cultures. J Clin Microbiol. 1995 Jul; 33(7):1954-1956. PubMed 7665682
- Clarridge JE, Pezzlo MT, Vosti KL. Laboratory Diagnosis of Urinary Tract Infections. In: Weissfeld AS, ed. Cumitech 2. Washington, DC: ASM Press; March 1987.
- Joho KL, Soliman H, Weinstein MP. Comparison of one-day versus two-day incubation of urine cultures. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1995 Jan; 21(1):55-56. PubMed 7789098
- Ronald AR, Nicolle LE, Harding GKM. Standards of therapy for urinary tract infections in adults. Infection. 1992; 20(Suppl 3):S164-S170. PubMed 1490743
- Stamm WE. Criteria for the diagnosis of urinary tract infection and for the assessment of therapeutic effectiveness. Infection. 1992; 20(Suppl 3):S151-S159. PubMed 1490740
Sample Volume: Collect specimens to the fill line on the Vacutainer® gray-top urine culture transport tube
- Unrefrigerated specimen older than two hours may be subject to overgrowth and may not yield valid results.
- Unlabeled specimen or name discrepancy between specimen and request label
- Specimen in expired transport container
Specimen received after prolonged delay (usually more than 36 hours for urine)
- Specimen collected via Foley catheter
- Unpreserved specimen
- Quantitation, isolation, identification (additional charges/CPT codes may apply) and susceptibility testing of up to two organisms at > 10,000 colonies/mL if culture results warrant (additional charges/CPT codes may apply).
Monday - Friday