Packing and Shipping
- Collect the specimen and place it in the appropriate specimen medium.
- Ensure that each specimen container is clearly marked with at least two unique patient identifiers.
- Secure each specimen container tightly to avoid leakage in transit. Place the medium in the foam insert.
- Complete the enclosed requisition with the patient’s demographics and insurance information.
- Place the specimen inside the enclosed biohazard bag and place it in the box.
- Place the box inside the enclosed FedEx shipping bag.
- Attach (if necessary) the pre-labeled and prepaid FedEx air bill.
- Seal the FedEx shipping bag.
- You can call FedEx at 800.463.3339 or contact our Client Services Department at 888.375.LABS (5227) to schedule a FedEx pick-up. Alternately, a pick-up can be scheduled online at fedex.com. A two-hour notice may be required for same-day pick-up.
FedEx Shipping Supplies
- Clinical Pac™, a leak-proof envelope required for shipping bodily fluids, which allows packaging of multiple specimens into one shipping envelope
- Pre-printed air bills, showing our shipping address and billing account number
- Note: By using these pre-printed FedEx air bills, your specimens will be delivered to the correct destination, and we will be correctly billed for the delivery. Even though the air bills are pre-marked for next-afternoon delivery, all deliveries are made to UF Health Pathology Laboratories in the morning.
Specimen collection procedures
Blood collection procedures
Surgical pathology shipping instructions
- Instructions for renal, muscle and nerve biopsy specimen submission poster
- Muscle biopsies
- Nerve biopsies
- Renal biopsies